Discover the Nature of Crete
Pure nature, along with natural wildlife and picturesque scenery, can only describe this tour. Passing through the vibrant village of Platanias and heading south west, along the fertile riverbanks of Iardanos, a relaxing journey begins. Winding the way through the orange groves of Patelari & Kirtomado villages to reach one of Crete’s most beautiful natural sanctuaries, the Lake of “Agia”. A unique blend of flora and fauna.
The interesting journey continues by entering an orange grove, picking fruits from the trees and tasting more delicious local products! Perfectly combining tiny villages, authentic experiences in the orchards and untouched nature, this tour offers so much in such a short time.
- Adult 22.00€
- Child 11.00€
- Bottle of water
- Sun cream
- The first tour by train starts early in the morning. After crossing the coastline, picking up the travelers coming from two directions, we end up in Gerani area.
- All together we head southwest, towards the verdant valley hidden behind Platanias village. We get to know the rich flora with the fruit trees that boost the residents' income and we cross Patelari, a typical small Cretan village.
- After the new bridge, with Keritis River running below and the unobstructed view of the White Mountains, we cross Kirtomados village and arrive at Lake Agia, where we will have our first stop. This lake, although artificial, is of great ecological value and home to a significant number of aquatic plants and animals. For about 25 minutes we can either walk on the wooden deck observing the wild birds or enjoy the view from the café by the lake.
- After this stop, we depart and head to the softly scented orange and lemon groves, where Nektarios, the producer, is waiting for us. There we will feel like locals by hand picking an orange directly from the tree. However, Nektarios also produces many other pure products, which we can try and purchase: Honey, olive oil, raki, rakomelo and citrus fruits.
- After the second stop, the excursion concludes by crossing the village of Galatas, birthplace of the world-famous Mikis Theodorakis and admiring the distant sea view, as we descend from above. We arrive at the drop off points via the central coastline.
Seaside area, quite close to the city of Chania. It stands out for its golden beaches with shallow waters and the park that hosts activities for all ages.
One of the most important tourist resorts. A delightful village situated on the northwest coast of Crete, located 3 km to the west of Chania. Its long sandy beaches and crystal clear waters make this an ideal holiday location for young and old alike.
Platanias (Greek: Πλατανιάς) is a village and municipality on the Greek island of Crete. It is located about 10 km (6.2 mi) west from the city of Chania and east of Kastelli-Kissamos, on Chania Bay. The seat of the municipality is the village Gerani. Platanias is a popular tourism village with a beach, several hotels, restaurants and souvenir shops. Not far from the coast is the island of Agioi Theodoroi.
Gerani is a village and a community situated in the municipality of Platanias, Crete, Greece. It has a population of 1,189 (according to the 2011 census) and it covers 6.398 square kilometers (2.470 sq mi). It is 14 kilometers (8.7 mi) from Chania, right next to the sea. The Gerani beach is awarded with the Blue Flag. There plenty of traditional tavernas, car rental companies, supermarkets and hotels in the village.
A Late Minoan tholos tomb has been discovered in the vicinity of Maleme. The tholos tomb, located on "Kafkala" hill, was accidentally revealed and then looted at the beginning of the 20th century. During World War II a bomb caused the partial destruction of its roof and the backfill of the chamber.
Patelari is a village near to Platanias in which you will be able to witness characteristic samples of the simple people of Crete, occupied mostly in agricultural works.
Agia Lake is one of the two lakes that exist in Crete. It is found next to Agia area and constitutes an ideal wetland habitat for infrequent plants, birds but also for visitors.
Orange Grove – Myloniana
A nearby orange grove, accessible only to us, which gives us the opportunity to feel like locals, picking fruits directly from the trees.
Historical village built in 961 AD by Byzantine families in the ruins of ancient residences. It’s also the homeland of the famous composer Mikis Theodorakis!